Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11

I got a call from a friend who reads the blog. She called and wanted to know if I was ok since I had not cooked in 2 days. I am so sorry. I was not feeling well and then my friend Jen invited me over for dinner last night. I have to admit that I was starting to hit the cooking wall. Part of me wanted to slip into cooking the same old, so a break was needed and helped. Today I wanted to cook again.

74.Peanut Butter and Jelly bread

*1 cup water
*1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*1/2 cup blackberry jelly
*1 tablespoon white sugar
*1 teaspoon salt
*1 cup whole wheat flour
*2 cups bread flour
*1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
Select a Sweet, Raisin, or Basic setting.
Makes 1.5 lbs.

I cant tell you if this is good or not since its still in the bread machine. Elise told me that it looked really yummy.

75. Linguine with Cauliflower and Brown Butter

*6 TSP butter
*1 head of cauliflower
*coarse salt and pepper
*1/4 cup water
*1 lb linguine (I only used half)
*10 fresh sage leaves
*1 shallot, diced
*3/4 cup parsley
*1/2 cup parmesan cheese
*1/3 cup plain bread crumbs

In a large skillet, melt 2 TBSP butter over medium high heat
Add cauliflower and season with salt, cook until crisp-tender (stir occasionally) about 15 minutes
Add the water and cook until cauliflower is tender when pierced with a knife
Meanwhile in a large pot bring salted water to a boil
Cook pasta until al dente
Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, drain the pasta
Melt the remaining 4 TBSP butter in same pot over medium heat
Stir in sage and shallot, cook stirring until butter is golden brown, about 3 minutes
Add pasta, cauliflower, parsley, and parmesan; season with salt and pepper
Toss to combine
Add enough reserved pasta water to create a thin sauce to coat pasta
Top with Bread crumbs to serve.

Elise told me that it was the best dinner ever and Dave have it a 9.5. That's saying something. Eli went out to dinner on a man date with my dad, so I dont know what he thinks, I am guessing that the cauliflower would have been a deal breaker. I also added some cropped chicken.
This is a Martha Stewart recipe and I take back the bad things I ever said about her. It rocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment