Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22

87. Beef Pot Pie

This was ok. Dave liked it more than I did. To be far I hate gravy. I know its strange and every year I have to remind my mother in law that I dont like gravy. Its like that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when he says that he does not eat meat.....that is the same look I get when saying I dont like gravy. But there I said it again...I dont like gravy. That may be the reason this was not a hit for me.

*1 (about 3 lbs) boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
*1 TBSP vegetable oil
*1 onion, minced
*2 carrots, peeled and chopped
*4 garlic cloves, minced
*5 TBSP flour
*3/4 cup dry red wine
*1 1/2 cups beef broth
*1 1/2 chicken broth
*1 TBSP tomato paste
*2 tsp thyme
*1 cup frozen peas

Pat the beef dry and season with salt and pepper
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat
Add the beef and brown, do not crowd the meat (you may need to do it in 2 shifts)
Transfer meat to a bowl and add onion and carrot to the pot, with any of the fat of the meat
Add 1/2 tsp salt
Cook until onion is soft about 5 minutes
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant
Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute
Whisk in wine, scraping up the brown bits
Add the broths, tomato paste and thyme
Add the beef and simmer until beef is tender, about 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 400
Stir in Peas, then pour into a 9x13 baking dish and cover with a pie crust. (I cheated and used frozen puff pastry that I thawed and that was my favorite part)
Bake for 20 minutes and then let cook for about 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment