Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Harder than looks

Jan 13 Manicotti with Spinach and mushroom

You know how there are things that you think are really hard to make and then when you do it, you see how easy it is to make? That was not really case this. Maybe it will get easier the more you make them. The first one did not end well. I will explain after the recipe....

*1 box of Manicotti Shells, Unless you want to make your own pasta and good for you. Not for me!!
*2TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oli
*6 on. chopped mushrooms
*1 clove garlic
*6 on. chopped spinach
*2 eggs
*15 on. ricotta cheese
*1/3 cup fresh basil
*1tsp salt
*1 jar of marinara sauce (I use Prego)
*1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350
Cook Pasta for 7 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
In a skillet heat the oil and add mushrooms and garlic.
Saute for 5 minutes and stir occasionally
Then add the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
Mix the eggs, ricatta, basil and salt. Then stir in mushroom mixture.
Spread 3/4 cups sauce in the bottum on a 9x13 baking dish.
fill the manicotti and place in the dish
Pour the rest of sauce over the shells.
Bake covered for 30 minutes and then uncovered for another 5-10.

Now, here was the problem....filling the darn shells. I put the mixture in a gallon zip lock bag and cut a slit in the bottom to fill. The first hole was too large the mixture went everything and split the the shell. Can you say Trash?? So then I made a smaller hole on the other side of the bag and the my hands were cramping because that hole was too small. So maybe if I make it again I will get it right. By the end it took a longer time than I thought and my hand hurts!!
It was really good. My kids protested because they saw the mushroom and spinach. Maybe had they not seen that it would have worked better.
On a side note My friend Sondi made the chicken wellington and loved it. Hi Sondi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment