Friday, January 29, 2010

Jan 29 There will be blood

41. BUTTERY TOFFEE COOKIES

I have a disclaimer for this blog. There will be blood. This is the first time I have ever had a cooking injury. It was a day of firsts for us. First Dave broke a plate this morning while unloading the dishwasher and it was the first plate we have lost since our wedding. We may have to go to our friends Jason and Alicia and steal one.
Then after I made the cookies I went to cut up some apple with my new and cute mandolin slicer...are you seeing where this is going? I was in a hurry and sliced my right thumb. I took a nickel size hunk out of my thumb. Thank the Lord Dave was home and was an EMT in a former life. It was really bad. He had to remove the hunk of thumb from the counter. I know....It was bad. So for dinner tonight there was no more cooking other than calling The Great Wall for take out Chinese food. However before the thumb slicing I made cookies.

*1/2 c. (1 stick) sweet cream butter (softened)
*1/2 c. sugar
*1 egg
*1/2 tsp. vanilla
*1 1/4 c. flour
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1/2 tsp. baking soda
*6 oz. pkg. Heath Bar Bits

Preheat oven at 350
Cream first 4 ingredients.
Beat until light and fluffy (3 or 4 minutes).
Add dry ingredients. Mix on low.
Stir in toffee. Drop from teaspoon on cookie sheet.
Cook for 10-12 minutes

I doubled the recipe and they are really good. Dave does not like toffee and said that these may have changed his mind.

So now I am scared to death of the mandolin. It is not as easy as the Food Network makes it look.

1 comment:

  1. Um, gross! Does a chunk of your thumb just grow back? Jeez, girl! You'll probably never use it again. My sister has yet to use pop top can lids ever since she sliced her finger opening cat foood. Required a few stitches. She will either not buy something in a pop top lid or use a can opener....and most of the time an electric can opener since she is still scared of a slice from the manual one!

    Hope your finger is better. Cookies sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete