Sunday, January 24, 2010

jan 24

35. Lazy Day Braised Pot Roast

I know that there are strange people out there don't like Pot roast and to you I say...Why?? Our family loves a good pot roast and its so easy to make. We had my parents over for dinner and they really liked it. I used parsnips instead of carrots and my dad said that he thought carrots would have been better. My mom thought that the gravy was too sweet. Dave loved it and Elise did not have to go to bed early!!

*4 lb chuck roast, or pot roast
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp pepper
*4 Large carrots cut into 3 inch lengths
*4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
*1 large yellow onion
*2 bay leaves
*3 cups of water
*1/2 cup cider vinegar
*3 TBSP butter
*3 TBSP flour

Put the roast in a slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add the carrots, potatoes, onion and bay leaves
Pour water and vinegar over the meat and veggies
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (cooked for 6 and it was perfect
Transfer the meat and vegetables to a warm platter and cover with aluminum foil
Turn your slow cooker on high
in a small bowl mash together the butter and flour
Add it to the hot liquid and whisk until thick.

It was really good and needed no side dishes. I used fingerling potatoes and they were yummy!

36. Chunky path brownies

this was not really a hit. I thought that it was too sweet and I don't think that I would make it again, but I don't really like chocolate. I know...its a sin, I have been told!

*2 cups flour
*2 cups sugar
*1 tsp baking soda
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 cup butter
*1 cup water
*1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
*2 eggs
*1/2 cup buttermilk
*1 1/2 vanilla

*3 cups tiny marshmallows

*2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
*1/2 cup whipping cream
*1/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350
grease a 15x10x1 inch pan
In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
In a saucepan combine butter, water, and cocoa powder, bring to just a boil(stir the whole time)
Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture and beat until combined
Add eggs buttermilk and vanilla
Beat for a minute, the batter will be thin
Pour into pan
Bake 25 minutes
take out and sprinkle the marshmallows over hot brownie
then top with chocolate topper
In a saucepan heat the chocolate chips, whipping cream and butter over medium low heat until smooth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment