Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jan 20 4 preschoolers.....oh my.

31. Roast Pork with Apples

My good friend Jen came over tonight for dinner. We try to do dinner every week or so with all the kids. So along with Eli and Elise tonight, Alex (4) and Stephen (2) were here to sample. Jen and I liked this meal and when Dave got home he really liked it too. It was not a huge hit with the kids. We had to force them to eat the meat with threat of no brownies for dessert. I thought that since they like applesauce that they would like the apple but that was not the case.

*3-4 lb pork roast, trimmed of fat and blotted dry
*Salt and pepper
*6-7 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered (I left the peels on and liked them)
*1/4 cup apple juice, fruity white white or champagne
*1/4 cup packed brown sugar
*1 1/2 tsp ginger

Season the pork with salt and pepper
Brown the meat on all side in a skillet, or under the boiler
Combine the apple juice, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl and spoon over the roast
Cover and cook on high for 1 hour
Reduce heat to low and cook until fork tender 7-8 hours.

I have found that my crock pot must cook faster. I only needed to cook it for 5 hours and it was fine.
I also used the apple juice because I am not using my good white wine on a crock pot. Right??
Eli asked me to make something with Tuna fish this weekend....so Lord help me I am after a tuna recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment